The advantages of my review:
- completely unbiased since they rely heavily on customer reviews for manual mini choppers
- the results are always fresh – I update the results bi-monthly to make sure that what you see on this page at any point in time is relevant
Here is how we’ll go about it in this review:
- We’ll unveil the winners right away in a synoptic table including their Overall Quality Score
- We’ll look into each of those in digest reviews that will point out their main strengths and weaknesses, so that we can paint a better picture of the product
- I’ll wrap everything up with my final thoughts
So, let’s start:
TOP 5 MANUAL MINI FOOD CHOPPERS
Digest reviews of each of the TOP 5s in the manual mini chopper category:
Review of The Pampered Chef Cutting Edge Manual Mini Food Chopper
- blades are stainless steel of the highest quality
- complete product is dishwasher safe
- simple processing – just pump and chop
- durable and great with anything from soft baby food to nuts
The PROs reported in user reviews:
- What I love the most about this chopper is that you have total control of the size of chunks, one or two pumps, and I have nice big chunks for a veggie soup, a few more pumps, and I have minced veggies.
- Have been using it for a year now, and it still works as well as the first day.
- Didn’t expect much for that price but I was pleasantly surprised at how well built this chopper is…
- just right if you are into camping, packs and cleans so easily…
- I replaced my old Slap Chop with this chopper. I did spend a bit more, but this is way better…
- Great customer service! Mine arrived chipped, and they replaced it within a week.
- Very easy to put together and take apart.
- It was good enough for my husband who’s a chef and was reluctant to get a chopper for a very long time. This chopper made him come around and admit that it is a time saver, and the results are just as good as his excellent French knives yield.
- I love how easy it is to clean.
- After getting the Pampered chef, I think of the time wasted over the years chopping nuts manually when I believed that a chopper would turn them into butter…
- My family loves coffee cakes, and I need a lot of chopped pecans for the topside, this chopper has been a huge time saver…
- It feels flimsy. We’ll see how it will stand the test of time.
- The blades became dull in a few months. I guess that it’s not “completely dishwasher safe” after all.
- I thought this was easier and less complicated to use and clean.
My review resume of The Pampered Chef Cutting Edge Manual Mini Food Chopper
I worked as a quality assurance manager for years, and I can say (I am not bragging) what’s a critical flaw and a red flag with an appliance.
The pampered chef is a high-end brand in the niche of the mini-processors – it costs a bit more, but the quality is superior.
So, let me give you an example of what I am talking about.
I stumble upon a review saying that the blades touch the sides of the bowl and scrape shards of plastic into the food. Would you think that a respected brand like PC would release a product to the market with such a critical flaw?
One product with such a serious issue and the company goes into the ground – no way to recover from something like this. But it’s a product that people make baby food in, for God’s sake.
So, there are two ways this can happen – extreme reviews like this can be:
- bogus reviews from their real competition
- reviews from someone (forgive me for being blunt here) without much of common sense
It’s harsh to say it I know, but if you do see something like this, you replace the product and get a new one. It’s common sense that you received a flawed product.
Where is the answer in this confusing jungle of the market?
It’s in the numbers. That’s why the method I am following only rates products with a sample of reviews that’s big enough.
With the sample size increased, the relevancy increased, since most of the websites that feature reviews (like Amazon, eBay, etc. are pretty good at picking up on the bogus reviews) and with a significant number of reviews, these lose their meaning.
But I digress…let’s get to our product.
Overall Quality Rating of this Pampered Chef is 4.8 / 5.
In my humble opinion, one of the two best manual choppers on the market today.
Review of Chef’n VeggiChop Hand-Powered Mini Food Chopper
- touch sensitive – not a lot of pressure needed for chopping
- not electricity dependant, just the right choice for small kitchens, travel, and camping
- efficient with anything from chopped nuts to guacamole
- storage lid designed for convenience
- all parts are dish washer safe
The PROs – most relevant positives that users report:
- It does take some time to get used to it. You’d expect less power. I went wild the first time I used it. It was surprisingly powerful for a manual chopper.
- My main plus with this chopper is how easy it is to clean.
- I got this as a present from my daughter, and after two months I ordered six more because these make for a great gift.
- It’s God-given if you have little counter space.
- The first chopper that I used ever (and I’ve gone through 4 already) that does an excellent job with tomatoes – chopping them without making a tomato sauce.
- Very smooth results, unlike my old hand crank.
- Even if I am not a chef, I love cooking. I was not a fan of using a processor because it turns everything I need to chop into a mush.
- I gave this chopper a go because I figured you’d have more control, and I was right. Now I am using it on everything from Ropa Vieja to onions.
- Probably, it’s the design of the bowl or the blades or whatever, but no large chunks of food sticking to the walls that you’d have to scrape off with a spatula.
- Excellent buy for the money, it paid for itself many times over.
The CONs as per the end users:
- It got stuck the first time I tried to cut a pepper.
- The plastic top on mine broke after just a few months of use.
- It spread some plasticky odor for days.
- Not my cup of tea. My main complaint is unsatisfying chopping.
My review resume
This is the model that has been shaking and baking the market in the last few years.
As we said, with all these products, you’ll see negative reviews, but what I am looking for when going through these are patterns that would be a deal-breaker.
This is not the case here.
Overall Quality Rating of 4.7 / 5 – that says a lot.
Review of Kuhn Rikon Swiss Pull Chop Mini Manual chopper
- top quality stainless steel used for the blades
- 3 pre-sets of chopping – chunky, medium and fine
- stays in place while processing – base in non-slip
- designed for easy cleaning
The main positives reported in consumer review of this Kuhn Rikon – the PROs:
- I have way more control when making salsa than with my food processor…
- I am a skeptical buyer, and I did my research before getting this chopper. It’s not only about the money but the hassle of going through returns and all that stuff I’ve experienced in the past.
- It was worth it – this chopper is a keeper and works just as advertised.
- Razor sharp blades work great, but you should be careful when washing them.
- I like when my nut butters chunky, and this gave me just the control over the process I needed to get the consistency just right.
- You wouldn’t expect something this small and cheap to be this well made, we’ve been using it every day for 4 months now, and it works just as well as the day it arrived.
- Super fast shipping.
- It surpassed all my expectations. It’s way better than my old Braun chopper.
- I was pleasantly surprised with the job it did on the potatoes, just as good as chopping them with my trusted knife.
Cons – some of the most critical negative chosen from user reviews of Kuhn Rikon:
- A completely smooth inside of the bowl would be a much better solution and would’ve made it easier to clean.
- The space between the bottom and the lower disc is too high, so there’s always unprocessed chunks there.
- If you are big on pureeing stuff, look elsewhere.
- Might work for smaller batches but will never replace my main food processor.
Review resume of the Kuhn Rikon Swiss Pull Chop
I must admit here that I was surprised to see this brand climb to the top 5 on this list. I know Kuhn Rikon, but I remember them best as a company that makes those small handy peelers and hullers.
Anyway, Overall Quality Rating of 4.6 / 5 – excellent for a company that doesn’t specialize in the field of small appliances.
Review of Maxam Vegetable Mini Manual Chopper
We have something that stands out here. Most people getting a manual food chopper do so because it’s convenient, small and easy to clean.
This Maxam stands in a category of its own; let’s see why.
- cones used for chopping are stainless steel and dishwasher safe
- rest of the appliance has a chrome finish
- primary use – salads and fries
- you can buy it online at amazon.com
The PROs – from the relevant customer reviews of this Maxam:
- I was thinking about getting a SaladMaster for 4k before getting this one. I had a demonstrator for SaladMaster come over to show us what this high-end thing can do. Now that I have this, I see no difference in the results between the two…
- Salads making just got so much easier. I love this thing…
- Solid and sturdy, it looks like it’s built to last.
- It’s so simple to use and a breeze to clean.
- I am still keeping my food processor because this Maxam can’t do many things (like smoothies or hummus), but it’s excellent at the things it can do like salads, kraut, fries.
- At first glance, I thought that it would not be safe for me since I am not very handy with these things that have the blades right there in the open. I was wrong there when my husband got it, I understood the design much better — bottom line – safe to use.
- I am so glad that I finally got this thing for salads, none of my 3 old food processors did an excellent job.
- Amazing for grating hard cheese.
- I found it hard to assemble and change the cones every time.
- It takes up too much space on my counter.
- The instruction manual is confusing.
As I said, this one is a rare beast. It’s not meant to be used for some of the stuff the other entries to the list are.
But it seems that it’s excellent at what it’s designed for – salads, fries, and grating stuff.
Overall Quality Rating of 4.7 / 5.
Review of Kitchen King Pro 11-piece Ultimate Food Preparation Station
A lot of big words there…pro, king, ultimate…let’s take a closer look at this one and see what the users have to say about it.
- Versatile – designed with add-ons for anything from chopping, mixing, julienne cutting, cream whipping.
- assorted colors
- sure-grip bottom to avoid the appliance moving
- Buy from Amazon
The PROs – the most relevant positive user reviews of Kitchen King Pro:
- I like the control you have when using this manual thing compared to the food processor. With some foods, the food processor would pulverize half of it and leave the other half bouncing around the bowl. It gives you control and excellent results.
- The best salsa I ever made.
- At this price, it’s a steal.
- Great for making whipped cream, didn’t see that coming.
- Super easy to use and clean.
The CONs – as per the customer reviews:
- The handle broke after just one month of use, total waste of money.
- I received a fake, nowhere on the box does it mention Kitchen King Pro, it’s something called Dessini made in Italy.
My review resume
The bottom line here is – this product received great reviews.
What I am worried about is seeing too many reviews reporting that they received a product that looked the same, but with some other label.
Not sure what is going on there and just these days I am looking into it, trying to figure out what’s going on, so that I can come back and report here.
Anyway, Overall Quality Rating of 4.6 / 5.
Final thoughts after reviewing the best manual mini choppers
There is nothing much to add if you are getting a manual food chopper you have your set of reasons and specific needs.
I am here as a messenger and pretty much a laborer doing the research, so you don’t have to.
The final choice comes down to your needs and taste.
My role is to keep this page constantly updated so that the products you see here are the best of the best in manual choppers at any given moment.
If this was at all helpful, I am doing something right 🙂
Be well and make wise choices,